Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Chapter 3 - Culturally Responsive Teaching in a Diverse Classroom

In a society that is as diverse as it has ever been, the need to be a culturally responsive teacher has never been greater.  Teachers today are seeing more and more diversity reflected from all walks of life.  Whether it is racial, socioeconomical, or religious diversity, the need to be aware and responsive is high.  Personally, I have never had much experience in a culturally diverse classroom.  I come from a smaller town in northeastern Wisconsin and I have gone to a Catholic school my entire life.  Those two ingredients usually do not to equal much diversity.  Since I became a secondary education major, I have experienced much more diversity, and instruction on how to differentiate for that diversity.  This not only includes my multicultural education class, but also the class I am currently in.  

We just finished reading a chapter in our Content-Area Reading textbook about culturally responsive teaching in a diverse classroom.  The main idea of the chapter regarding how to teach literacy in these classrooms is, "teachers respond to linguistic and cultural differences by scaffolding instruction in culturally responsive classrooms.  One of the things I enjoyed reading about was dealing with linguistic differences in today's schools.  Again, not having much experience with this I was interested to read about how to go about making sure any language barriers are taken down.  Often because of linguistic barriers, diverse students end up on a track of repeated struggle or even failure.  As the chapter points out, "language differences should not be mistaken for language deficits among culturally diverse students.  The key is to be accepting of diverse dialect in the classroom, and allow for certain assignments and discussions to take place in the vernacular of these students.  There is a time and a place for the use of standard American English, but "when and under what circumstances become critical instructional issues."  

I think, that it is most important to communicate with diverse students when these circumstances are needed.  For example, if they are completing a formal report for class, the standard American English may be needed.  An informal essay on something written in class most, most likely would not require it.  In my opinion, in the case that standard American English is needed (and is not the native language of students) the teacher should assist the student in helping him or her write.  For example, have the student write a draft to the best of their ability and then have a paper conference with them to discuss and correct any error.  This should then be offered to all students, whether they are culturally diverse or not.  Eventually, move from a conference with the teacher to a conference with another student.  Then, as the school year progresses, perhaps the students will be able to complete this on their own. 

I hope, in the case that I end up teaching in a classroom that is diverse, that I will be able to use what I have learned to assist diverse students and help to scaffold the curriculum to the point where they will become independent in their reading and writing.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi, actually love the style of your web site. Would you mind telling me what theme you happen to be utilizing? I’m new to this and I’m hoping to get mine looking anywhere near as cool as yours. Thanks a great deal. https://www.seoexpertindelhi.in/google-word-coach/

    ReplyDelete